After a month of back to back to back colds, I’ve compiled a list of our best indoor activities for sick, low energy toddlers.
1. Play Doh Fun Factory– 18 months of age is when our boys were able to play with Play Doh without us worrying about it going in their mouths. We got them a starter pack with basic Play Doh tools. Our boys will sit for up to 45 minutes and play with the fun factory and tools. For a sick day, this is my first line of defense.
2. Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pads – If we have tiny stickers, they end up everywhere including our dog’s paws. This reusable sticker book has really big stickers that easily peel on and off of different scenes. I give them each a different scene to work on, and they can play with it for a remarkably long time. Peel on, peel off. Peel on, peel off. Put a sticker on your brother and giggle. Repeat.
3. Gel Window Clings – I was surprised that the window clings could hold their attention for so long. They love sticking them on different windows throughout the house, and we’ve even seen our dog walk around with a few on her back. When they lose their stickiness, you just run the gel clings under water and they’re brand new again. You can’t ask for an easier clean up than these reusable gel window clings.
4. Interactive books – These are always a big seller in our house, but they’re even more popular when the kids are low energy. At this point in time (18 months of age), these are their favorite interactive books:
- Animal Alphabet Slide and Seek
- Finger Puppet Books
- Thomas the Train Board Books (this pack of 4 board books is a huge hit!)
5. Arts and Crafts – At this age, most craft projects are challenging. Crayons are hard to hold onto and go straight in the mouth. Paint is out of the question. There is one thing that we have found that works…the Crayola egg shaped starter crayons. You can print out some fun coloring pages online and let them have fun using crayons that will actually stay in their hands.
With a few days of indoor activities, hopefully you can put away the Boogie Wipes in no time at all!